Tuesday, December 12, 2017

All ready for Christmas!

Hello everyone!

And just like that, another week seems to have come and gone! It seemed to be pretty quick this week, at least for us way out here in Sweden. I guess the shortness of each day could be because the actual daylight only lasts a few hours! It is now officially dark by around 2:45 or so, so that's fun! It is pretty sad each day to have it dark so early, it makes me feel tired and like the day should be nearly complete by around 4:00, but nope! It just means you get used to the dark, but it really isn't bad. Anyways, there were several fun and cool things that happened this week!

We got to go and clean the temple again, and that might not sound too exciting, but I really love going! Being in the temple that long is just awesome! And it was also cool to see the nativity that they put up in front of the temple, it was a good reminder of Christmas! However, it was disorienting to come out of the temple at 3:00 to go back to work doing normal proselyting and to have it be dark already. But that's just the way it happens sometimes!

To make things a little more Christmasy in our apartment we got a Christmas Tree (the term 'tree' is being used very loosely in this case)! Haha, it is actually just the end of a branch from a pine tree, but that doesn't make it any less good of a Christmas tree! We made a little stand for it out of a toilet paper roll, were able to borrow some Christmas ornaments, and then I made a star out of some sparkly pipe cleaners I had found. It may not be the best Christmas tree in the world, but it is better than nothing, and it makes me laugh each time I see it! Merry Christmas! (I'll attach a picture, don't worry)

Overall, our investigators and work in general is going alright. I've kinda seen that people are less prone to talking to you on the street when it is freezing cold and super dark, but that isn't going to stop us! We've still met some awesome people, been able to teach, and tried to help out how we can. Things are all good! And what was also fun was that our ward had a morning last week where we went and played sports all together as the young men and the rest of the priesthood. We played basketball (me being 6' 5 certainly helped) and then a sport called innebandy, which is basically floor hockey. But it was a really good way to get to know people in our ward better and just have fun with them. It's been really good!

Well, that seems to be all the exciting stuff we were up to this last week. I hope everyone is as excited as I am for Christmas! I am grateful to be a missionary and to be able to serve people. I hope you all have a great week!


Elder Nelson


Pic 1-2: The Swedish temple (the second picture was taken at 3 pm, just so you can see how dark it gets!)
Pic 3: Our Christmas tree! (Yes, it is as majestic in real-life as it looks in the picture)





Elder Nelson's mom here: Just for record keeping purposes it should be noted that this letter should be dated Dec. 11, 2017.  Someone who shall remain nameless may have forgotten to post it on the right date.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final letter - Home on Thursday

The time has finally come and I'm writing my last weekly email as a missionary. Where has all the time gone? On Tuesday I'll take a ...